On the big night her Daddy made a bed out of cardboard for the bebe to sleep in, and Kirstie helped me cut a pillow from a dusting cloth and a blanket from some old pants. She asked me to read "Bye Bye Binky" and wanted me to change all the character's names to "Kirstie." Then she cried in a heart-wrenching voice, "I just need to sleep with my bebe" and, "I'm just three," over and over again until she was completely exhausted. I had told her I would stay by her until she fell asleep as long as she would close her eyes, lay still, and be quiet. When she finally decided that having me there would help more than crying, she fell asleep within a few seconds. It was 11:30 pm when Allen and I stood gazing at our beautiful sleeping angel, then I went to my room and cried.
The next day, as promised, Allen took Kirstie to pick out her very first bicycle. She wanted the pretty pink one and has really been enjoying it. When they were at the bike shop Kirstie started squirming around and pulling down her pants. Allen thought she had to go to the bathroom until he saw the two-inch cockroach on her underwear! Allen said there were cockroaches EVERYWHERE on the side walks by the shop. Later we found out that the sewer had been sprayed that day so all those bugs were just coming up for air. It is a week today since Kirstie put her bebe in its own bed and she has made a lot of progress but with any loss there is always a grieving process. We are very proud of our not-so-little girl.
3 comments:
Hi, Cherry!
Thank you for your comments...your reaction/interpretation was exactly what I was aiming for! I made this set of collages for my mom for Mother's Day and I put recipes underneath because she loves to cook. I thought the groups of ladies were so awesome and speak to the need for girls to hang out and have fun!
I really liked this Bebe post and the bed you guys made is AWESOME. What a creative idea and what a cool way to honor your daughter's transition to being (more of) a big girl.
Love,
jen
How insightful to plan ahead for the big day. I was a thumbsucker myself, so it wasn;t so easy to put that one to bed. Life lessons begin at an early age. I'm sure she will always remember this lesson.
A. Janice,
Thumbsuckers rule! I distinctly remember Mom pouring vanilla on my thumb one day. I don't know how old I was but I remember being really excited to try out my newly flavored thumb - I thought it smelled like cookies. What a "bitter" disappointment to realize it didn't taste like cookies at all. I remember trying it a couple times but it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I stopped sucking my thumb. Don't remember if I cried or not.
Post a Comment