
We've been trying to figure out ways to get to know the youth more than just on Saturday night youth group times. I know what we would do if this was a youth group in the States: ball games, band concerts, drama, but it's not that simple here. There are a few who are involved in extra-curricular activities, but I think for most of them, the hours are filled with school and cram school. We are still looking for opportunities to be with them and encourage them in their daily life. Our first idea was to have some of the youth over for lunch on Sunday afternoons and today was our first try. Allen invited all the kids who were at youth group last night and any of them who were at church services today. We had made a BIG batch of spaghetti sauce last night and got every room in our apartment presentable. Then just before we walked out the door this morning I started the bread machine. After church 10 youth walked home with us - 6 girls and 4 boys. I had walked on ahead to pick up some more lettuce, noodles, and drinks at a store on the way home, but I ended up forgetting the noodles so Casey drove over with everything they had. We served salad, corn, bread, and spaghetti. We were expecting to have a lot of leftovers that we hoped to freeze for an easy meal but they finished all but a couple helpings of the spaghetti and salad. They liked the food! After lunch the guys played Play Station and girls played Mexican Train and Uno. I got to hop in on a hand of Uno which was fun for me. One of the girls said she remembered how to play, but I found myself learning a new game. For example, instea

d of saying "uno" when you have only one card left, we said it when we had two cards. That one made me laugh and I had to excuse myself to share a chuckle with Allen. I guess I was taking it for granted that they would know how to say "one" in Spanish. Our little girls had a great time, too. Katelin fell asleep on the way home and went straight to her crib when we walked in the door. She woke up in time for lunch and then played in and around the boys during their games. It was cute. Kirstie and the teenage girls had a blast playing with her toys. We were very happy with the way things went and hope to do this on occasion, just enough to keep it a special treat.
3 comments:
Thank you a lot,Allen and Cherry!
I had a great time.
The food was very delicious.
Sorry to disturb you and your family.
May God bless you all.
Shane
Glad you had a good time Shane. We really enjoyed having you over, no trouble at all. See you Sunday!
I was surprised they liked spaghetti and the sauce. However, we have learned to enjoy rice and vegetables so it's not surprising. It's amazing how God uses food and games to make a bridge between us.
Post a Comment