Last weekend our church and daughter church got together to do 48 hours of prayer. Church members signed up for an hour at a time and came to our church’s prayer room from Friday until church on Sunday. A baton was passed from person to person as each one took their turn communing with God.
I was able to sign up for Saturday from 2 to 3 in the afternoon. I took my shoes off before entering the room, as is the Chinese custom when you enter someone’s home or before you walk on carpet. This simple cultural act that I have done over and over felt different this time. It reminded me of Moses who was told to take off his sandals because he was standing on holy ground. I was approaching God’s throne in prayer and he is holy. I had the baton in my hand and the door was shut behind me. I looked around at the paper that covered the prayer room walls where other prayers had written verses and thoughts that came to them when they were there. The feeling of God’s presence and of unity in the body of Christ was overwhelming. The hour went by so fast. I did not have time to pray for anyone specifically because I could not go beyond thinking of God’s holiness and majesty. When have I given myself permission to just dwell on God for an hour? Some paper and colors had been placed in the room and I drew a picture of some of the thoughts of God’s holiness that had been on my mind. I read scriptures from Exodus 2 when God spoke to Moses from the burning bush, and from Revelation 4 where John tells of what he saw in heaven.
Rev. 4:9-11, “Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives forever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: ‘You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.’”
At the end of my time I realized that when I only thought about God, all the worries that tempt me just melted away. I felt peace.
On Sunday we watched the video of all the baton changes. It was neat to see everyone who took part and see the spirit of unity in the church. Then different people shared about their experiences during their turn in the prayer room. Several people talked about how God convicted them of their sin. Others talked about learning to talk with God for more than a three second prayer. Some told about how busy their lives were and how this opportunity to focus on God brought them to tears. What a privilege to be able to connect in such an intimate way with our creator!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Cherry, this is great. I am glad you got the time to relax and reflect - and share it.
Cherry, thank you for an inspiring look into a personal time.
Wow. That sounds like an awesome 48 hours. I'm glad you got the chance to just reflect on God for a while. That's great!
Post a Comment