I had my postnatal doctor appointment the other day. I usually call a taxi to drive me to the hospital. Today when I got in the cab there was a very prominent gold colored idol sitting on the dash staring back at me. I felt very uncomfortable but it was a good reminder for me. When we reached the hospital the taxi driver turned around and gave me a generous discount on the fare. I found myself a little surprised. I guess I had been expecting him to not be very nice. I was embarrassed to realize that I had been stereotyping. Another good reminder for me - these people who worship false gods are not my enemy. They have been deceived by my enemy.
On Sunday we were invited to a Christian family's home for supper. The husband's parents have an apartment that is joined to theirs by a small doorway. When we were being shown around we saw his parents' god shelf. Though it is called a shelf, it was probably six feet tall and five feet wide, taking up most of the wall. Plenty big so as not to be missed when you pass by. There were three different idols on it and incense for worshipping. The family explained that their extended family (nearly 30 people) meets at this (their parent's apartment) for all the major Chinese festivals. This is where they meet for worshipping family gods and ancestors. Seeing this helped me understand better the struggle that Chinese Christians face so often trying to honor God without disrespecting their parents. It requires a lot of prayer asking for wisdom from God to know what is best in each situation.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment